From the ashes arise! Salvaging a hobby project gone awry – my Deathwing

When I was a younger man, I fell in love with the Deathwing short story. I loved the idea of fielding an army of tactical-dreadnought armoured behemoths. I grew up a bit and GW released their plastic terminator kit. I happily snapped some up and started to think about how to paint them. I wasn’t confident in my ability to paint the bone-white of the Deathwing, so I went with something a little more within my reach. I painted the lot of them gold. Now you’re probably as fed up as I am with golden marines and I was never truly happy with them- I wanted real Deathwing. So in January I set out to make this a reality.

I brought a large quantity of Fairy Power Spray and waved goodbye to my golden marines. After a lot of soaking in Fairy and a lot of scrubbing with a toothbrush this was the result:

DSC_0752DSC_0754 (1)

As you can see, the result was not perfect. Even with several coats in the Fairy Power Spray and some very vigorous tooth brushing. The plastic will be forever stained black- it doesn’t seem to matter how much stripping they take. There also seems to be some residue of the original paint- some gold and red.

Once the model is sprayed, many of the flaws that I highlighted above are covered. If you look closely you can see some of the paint below the new undercoat. This will be covered in time and will look like weathering or battle damage once I have finished. If you are of a mind to repaint an army- don’t be disheartened if the original stripping doesn’t take the model back to bare plastic or metal. You will be able to work the flaws into the armour as you layer up the highlights.

DSC_0764DSC_0767DSC_0770

Once you have re-sprayed your models with the desired undercoat it is on to base coating. If you are painting Deathwing- grab the biggest brush you can find and slap a basecoat of Rakarth Flesh all over the model. You will end up with something like this:

DSC_0771DSC_0772DSC_0774

Again- don’t worry about getting paint where it is not wanted. You will have plenty of opportunity to sort the details out later. Your next job is to ink. Grab a pot of Seraphim Sepia and go to town. Get it in all the cracks and crevasses and you will have something that looks like this:

DSC_0779DSC_0781DSC_0782

In the next week or so I will put up an article that covers the last few steps to the finished model. We will see if a fallen project can rise again! I leave you with a parting shot of the army and an idea of how much work I have left to do:

DSC_0783

 If you have had a similar experience- share your pointers and pitfalls in the box below.